About Me

I am about long naps and hammocks.
I am about good food like circus peanuts and candy cigarettes.
I am not about vegetables or business clothes or peanut butter.
I am about movies.
I wish I was more about running.
I am definitely about people, weird people.
I think I am about leading, but I know I am about instigating.
I am about second chances, even when it's hard.
I am learning to be more about Jesus and less about me.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Braces and Scrunchies

I came to Starbucks to overpay for a coffee drink and get alone time to write this post. I accomplished the overpaying part, but I'm surrounded by many young guys in very tight pants and a large group of middle school age girls with braces and scrunchies. People watching keeps distracting me.

Living at the house with 11 other people is not something that comes naturally for me even though I like to think of myself as adaptable. For the previous 3 years, I've secluded myself to the comforting depths of my cave basement bedroom. And with my siblings far away, my parents have been the larger part of my social life anyway, but in a not lame/loner way (or at least I'd like to think so). 

I am learning a lot through it here, though. I'm learning that some people (unlike me) process thoughts by talking out loud or like it when people touch them constantly or are morning people. I have none of those qualities even though they can be great things, but I am learning how to love those people properly/they way they want to be loved. I keep repeating learning because its not the way my brain works; it is a process. 


This past week has included some fear-facing/awkwardness-overcoming challenges. The lecture topic was evangelism, and we did a lot more practical learning than I initially would've liked. Our speaker was Jude from Liverpool who had fiery red hair and gentle spirit. She is the founder of a ministry called Pearl Program in Liverpool which works with developing relationships with prostitutes. Very cool. She pushed us to get out and talk to people. I did end up having some pretty bad conversations. For example, one pastry shop manager told me she didn't believe in God and I responded with "That's awesome!" and walked out. How do I even explain that?

However the good conversations I had DEFINITELY made the not so good ones worth it. I talked to a Muslim man about homosexuality and love. I talked to an elderly man about his childhood faith. I talked to a woman who had been bullied even as an adult. I wouldn't of had any of those experiences if I had let my less than superior conversation skills hold me back. The whole week did wear me out, but it taught and is teaching me about evangelizing as a lifestyle and not an agenda to try convert people on the streets. 

This week the lecture topic is on the Fatherheart of God. Our speaker is a man named Emmanuel from London, but originally Ghana. The week isn't even half over, but we've already gone pretty deep into it. We've talked about how God as a father is generous, a man of His word, and especially present in our lives; and that is how He created earthly fathers to act. It's not that I've been completely oblivious to this, but all this talk has made me realize how awesome my dad is. Even though I like to joke with him that I'm the forgotten child, he really has always been so present and a leader and so invested in my life. For him, I am thankful. 

My bunkmate, Rachel, asked me to include how awesome my roommates are, but lying makes me feel sick........I am thankful for my roommates (Kelly and Rachel) and that we are so different but none of us are really morning people or high maintenance or super messy, and that they can put up with me. My parents probably won't believe this, but I am a member of the clean room, thank you very much. 

5 comments:

  1. Molly, right now I am both crying and laughing at your latest blog. Yes, i just "cleaned" your room getting ready for Thanksgiving guests I but I have never been more proud of you! I want to meet Rachel, Kelly, Emmanuel and definitely Jude! Went to the Vintage now fundraiser tonight. Mia looked so beautiful! You would of loved the Gatsby theme..Sweet dreams Molly Moo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are making me so proud to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to rea this blog ! I realize now what you are doing there!
    These memories wil follow you thru life!
    Keep up the good work of God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing your stories. You are inspiring me to work harder and be more for God. I'm grateful for God challenging you and for the people there walking beside you. Keep up the great ministry. We are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Molly - fun to read about your adventures in Wales! You are more than welcome anytime you want to pop up for a visit to Scotland. Let us know if you need anything - even if it is a quiet room to yourself for the weekend our guest room is available to you anytime - with a view of more sheep. Blessings, Alayna

    ReplyDelete